2006 Capital 10k

Yesterday was not my best race ever. It was hot, the humidity was near 100% (though it never rained), the course was very hilly, and I had just gotten over a cold.

Even so, I only finished 4 minutes over my previous 10k time so all in all it wasn't awful. My shins were bothering me a bit and the weather was so oppressive that I walked a lot of the race but I finished in 1:16:50 at a 12:22 minute mile.

I had some glitches with my technical stuff. My GPS was acting up a bit - it was cloudy and so it thought I was inside. It finally got going, but it was already about a quarter mile into the race before it started keeping track. Then there was a little matter with my iPod shuffle. For some reason, it would only play the same two songs over and over. :( I ran the entire race (well, except for the first 10 minutes or so while I listened to those first two songs) without music.

I was going to start training without music and wean myself off the thing since I can't wear it for the Disney half, but I wasn't quite ready for no music yesterday in the oppressive heat on a hilly course after being sick. But I plugged along and kept with it.

After the race I actually felt better than I normally do physically after a race except for one thing - my right heel. About an hour after the race, my right heel started hurting immensely when I walk. I am limping around today and I have an appointment with the orthopedist tomorrow morning. I can hardly walk it hurts so much. I iced it, applied some healing gel to it, took some anti-inflammatories - nothing helped. I'll report back when I know more about the cause of this issue.

In other news, I'm really excited to start swimming. I think I'm ready to take a little break from running. By little break I mean that I'm going to move from 3-4 days a week of running to probably only 1-2 days a week of running. I want to keep up my running fitness, but I want to concentrate on some swimming for a bit. The length of the run for the Rookie Triathlon that I'm thinking I will do is only 2 miles which won't be a problem for me at all at my current level. However, I will need to increase my running milage in late June or early July to start training for the Disney half marathon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10-Night France, Iceland, and Norway Cruise - Day 7 At Sea

Fitness Instructor Journey, Part 4: Unbreakable

10-Night France, Iceland, and Norway Cruise - Day 17 Copenhagen to Austin and Final Thoughts