2006 Keep Austin Weird 5k


Last year we ran the race in a very silly, non-serious (not race-like and untimed) manner. We stopped at the crazy stops (ice cream, etc.) and even took a break at Secret Oktober to hang out in the A/C and shop. This year we ran it for real. The course was different this year and had we done the silly, non-serious, not fast running, it wouldn't have been as fun as last year. However, the course was a lot more flat and much less challenging. It was fairly hilly last year. This year it was an out and back style course which was slightly downhill on the way out and slightly uphill on the way back. 

Unfortunately, I really would have preferred downhill on the way back. I went out way too fast. I was also using a lot of energy trying to escape the throng of people and dodge all the walkers, strollers, kids and dogs that somehow decided they would start at the front. Usually they make those folks start at the back, but nobody was announcing that. It was sort of lame and irritating. After I got around the crowd, I forgot to check my GPS, until mile 1 but I felt like I was going at a comfortable pace and wasn't pushing too much. Then my GPS beeped for mile 1. Oops. Way way too fast. Really. Way way. 

Around mile 1, I saw people starting to come back toward me. I didn't recognize the guy in front, but Adam, from Jack and Adam's Bicycles was in second or third. The assistant coach of my training group, Cindy, was one of the first women I saw. I cheered for both of them. Cindy looked back to see who the heck was calling her name. I don't know if she recognized me. 

I made the turn around, walking a few paces to take in some water (drinking half, and pouring the rest over my head). Then it was uphill. How come the hill seems much steeper going up than down? I didn't have much left so I tried to focus on my form. I would get into good form and momentarily go faster as a result, then it would break down and I would slow up. I tried again and again, but I was tired and there was a wind coming from the right that had picked up and was making things tough. I finally turned a corner for the last three quarters of a mile or so - right into the wind. Whew! That was tough! It was really strong. I finished with not my best 5k time but certainly not my worst. Dru and Roger both got a PR. I really wanted to but it didn't work out. :(

Before you say, "But you ran 8 miles that morning!" keep in mind that Dru did too. And before you say, "But it was 100 degrees!" keep in mind that Dru isn't acclimated to running in 100 degree weather and she kicked butt. Dru is a super fast runner. She's really kicking butt. One good thing about the run is that one of my coworkers was there taking some video and pictures. I found myself in his video and I look skinny! That made me very happy. I hope the official photos are good. 

I just hope that I don't run too slow for her at the half marathon. I've told her I want to really be careful to start out very slow. She agreed that we will both try to keep each other's excitement at bay. We need to last 13.1 miles and going out too fast could really make the subsequent miles miserable. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10-Night France, Iceland, and Norway Cruise - Day 7 At Sea

Fitness Instructor Journey, Part 4: Unbreakable

10-Night France, Iceland, and Norway Cruise - Day 17 Copenhagen to Austin and Final Thoughts