Puerto Rico and Southern Caribbean Cruise Jan 2020 - Day 1 - San Juan, PR

Travel To San Juan, Puerto Rico



It's time for another cruise with the mouse! Not only that, it's time for another Southern Caribbean cruise. We also took a Southern Caribbean cruise out of Puerto Rico last year, but this time we visit completely different islands. This year we will only spend one night in Puerto Rico before embarking on the Disney Wonder for the islands of St. Maarten, Antigua, Martinique, Barbados and St. Lucia. 

We didn't have as early of a start this year (thankfully) but it would mean a later arrival into San Juan. Since we were only staying one night, it ended up being cheaper and simpler to just stay at a hotel. 

Our travel day was uneventful with the exception of some minor forgetfulness on my part. My brain was a bit scattered and I didn’t go through my final packing checklist and once at the airport, we realized we had forgotten Emmaline’s iPad. I told her she could watch some things on my computer on the airplane and she had homework to finish anyway. I also realized we had forgotten to take out the trash and move a litter box into the room where one of our cats is spending the trip locked away (the reasons are complicated, but rest assured, she doesn’t mind). So I sent my mom a message and she ran over and took out the trash and moved the litter box.

We had to change planes in Houston, which I guess I wasn’t completely uneventful because as we were coming in to land, the pilot abruptly pulled up and rapidly gained altitude. Eventually he came on the intercom and explained that there was a dog on the runway. We circled for 15 minutes or so and eventually landed a bit late. We still had plenty of time for our connection, though.

We landed in San Juan, Puerto Rico, gathered our baggage and followed signs to the ride share pickup area where we requested an Uber. It only took 15 minutes or so to make it to our hotel. We settled in for a few minutes before heading out for dinner. We hadn’t found much on Google and Yelp near our hotel so we ate at a pizza place around the corner that had 4.8 stars or something and ended up being not great. The crust was great. Everything else, not so much. There’s only so far great crust will take you in a pizza.

After dinner we looked for dessert elsewhere and found some rolled ice cream in some kind of market around the corner. It ended up being some sort of shopping mall sort of place with a food court on the upper floor. Except all the food court places were sort of local looking and serving amazing looking local food and the whole time I was kicking myself for not finding it because it would have been so much better than the crappy pizza. The only problem was the very VERY loud band (VERY LOUD) playing generic rock covers. They were….fine but did I mention it was LOUD. Like, so loud that we couldn’t even really order dessert. Emmaline had a frozen fruit bar and Roger and I split some rolled ice cream. It was our first time for that. It was fine, I guess, but expensive and gimmicky.

After dinner we returned to our hotel and Emmaline did a little research on my computer for the school project she’s working on about our destinations. Roger relaxed and I prepped for our sightseeing and embarkation the next morning.

Click here for Day 2.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10-Night France, Iceland, and Norway Cruise - Day 7 At Sea

Fitness Instructor Journey, Part 4: Unbreakable

10-Night France, Iceland, and Norway Cruise - Day 8 Reykjavik, Iceland