2006 Sunstroke Summer Stampede 5k

I'm getting slower

How is it that I'm running slower and slower. Geesh.

I did the Sunstroke Summer Stampede 5k tonight. This is my third race on this same course. My PR for the course is 35:42 (which prior to the Daisy 5k was my PR for any 5k). I guess it just wasn't my night. Tonight it was hot (around 95 - although there was a slight breeze and it wasn't too humid which helped), I'd worked a full day at work so perhaps that contributed. I don't have my official results from the chip, but my GPS said 38:49 which is a 12:29 minute mile. Yuck.

I ran it up until mile 2 where there was a water stop. I walked the water stop and drank some water (drinking and running don't mix for me). After walking, I just couldn't pick it back up again and walked most of the last mile. Here are my splits according to my GPS:

Mile 1 11:23
Mile 2 12:27
Mile 3 13:39
Last .1 mile 1:11
Official chip time: 38:47 12:26/mi

Why am I getting slower? How come I could run an entire 10k in March at under a 12 minute mile and now I can't even run a 5k at all, let alone a 12 minute mile? It's very frustrating. I know my running has tapered because of my swimming and biking, but I didn't think it would take this much of a beating. I'll probably be the slowest, lamest person at the Rogue training class. I'm really worried about this because to take this class you had to be able to run at least 3 miles. At the time I signed up, that wasn't an issue, but now I can't. I have a few weeks to bring my running back up. I hope I can do it in time.

My left shin feels a bit twingy and my right heel felt tight after the race. I did some stretching on my heel and it feels a lot better. I'm starting to wonder if it isn't actually an overuse thing. It feels more like a tightness and it's actually worse when I ice it. I feel like stretching it and flexing it makes it feel better. I should probably call the doctor again, but I'm really not keen on having him tell me to take another few weeks off when it didn't do the trick the first time around.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10-Night France, Iceland, and Norway Cruise - Day 7 At Sea

Fitness Instructor Journey, Part 4: Unbreakable

10-Night France, Iceland, and Norway Cruise - Day 8 Reykjavik, Iceland