2006 Credit Union Texas Twister 10k

A 10k PR

I ran a race this morning. I hadn't really planned on it, but I knew there was going to be one and I went back and forth about doing it. Yesterday morning when I got up and saw 8 miles on my training plan, I assessed my body and it told me it didn't want to go 8 miles. So I decided 6.2 miles fast would even out to 8 slow so I headed down to Run Tex and registered for the race. We did a really short (5 miles) and easy bike ride yesterday to spin my legs out a bit.

This morning I woke up several times: 4 AM, 5 AM, 6 AM, of course, going back to sleep at 6:15 so that my alarm could go off at 6:30. Luckily, with Daylight Saving Time ending, it was actually just about my regular time to get up. My stomach was feeling weird and I was a little concerned.

I ate my normal pre-race breakfast (small bowl of Rice Krispies with a tiny bit of soy milk, half an apple with the peel removed, and a small glass of juice) and headed out. I arrived at the race site and did a warm up trot from my car to the race site, picked up my timing chip and make one last stop at the port-a-potty. Last night I decided I wanted to do the race in around 1 hour, 10 minutes. My previous 10k PR was 1 hour, 12 minutes. As I waited for the race to start, I wasn't hoping for a PR, I decided I was going to get a PR.

I airhorn went off and I started my iPod loaded up with 3 Podrunner podcasts: 2 at 175 and 1 at 170. I started on 175 and I repeated a mantra to myself, "I am fast. I am strong." I checked my GPS. The plan was to to the first mile no faster than 11 minutes, then keep the remaining miles at or below 11 minutes.

About midway through the first mile, I started feeling really sick to my stomach and started worrying I was going to have to duck off the course and throw up. I wished I didn't have my long sleeve shirt tied around my waist. It was cold before the start, but while waiting for the race to start I got hot and it was too close to the start and my car was too far away to take it back. I loosened the shirt, my race belt, and my water bottle belt a little bit. I had three Clif Shot Blocks in my pouch but the thought of them made my stomach turn even more.

I tried to forget about my tummy and repeated my mantra. I just knew I was going to have a PR regardless. Looking back I never ever thought, "Oh, I hope I can PR..." or "Maybe I'll be able to PR today." I just made the decision to do it and did.

Miles 1-2 were a bit hilly. I just relaxed up them like Coach Karen taught us and then flew on the downhills, letting my momentum carry me down. Just after mile 2 was a killer hill and my stomach really rebelled, but I just repeated my mantra, listened to the Podrunner beat and kept my legs and feet relaxed.

Around mile 3, the course had flattened out and I was excited to see the race clock at 34 minutes (34:17 is my 5k PR). I was on track. I took some sips of gatorade from my bottle and realized that my stomach was feeling somewhat (but not completely) better. I tried to pick up the pace a bit. I picked up perhaps too much because I slowed down at mile 4 which was my fasted mile.

Finally I arrived at mile 5 and was excited that I only had a little over a mile to go. The next 1.2 miles flew by. I gave every last bit I had and when I hit mile 6 I really started pushing. When the finish was in sight, I pushed hard, but I didn't run as fast I have on past runs. I had spent just about everything in the previous 6 miles.

I ran across the finish and hit my watch. 1 hour, 8 minutes - 2 minutes under my goal and 4 minutes under my previous PR. I did it! I felt so emotional. I grabbed some water and nearly started crying. I was overcome and it felt so great. I realized my stomach was feeling somewhat better so I grabbed a banana, some pretzels and a carton of OJ while I walked around a bit to cool down. I felt a little light headed and super tired.

I stretched and headed back to my car so I could make my way to swim class where I had an hour of swimming ahead of me. Whew! I didn't have the best swim ever, but I still swam 2000 yards in an hour. I'm not too sore or tired this evening. I actually feel like the swimming afterwards did me good.

I'm still so proud of myself. I really had a great race despite the stomach issues. Now I have a new 10k PR to break. I have to say, I really like that distance!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10-Night France, Iceland, and Norway Cruise - Day 7 At Sea

Fitness Instructor Journey, Part 4: Unbreakable

10-Night France, Iceland, and Norway Cruise - Day 8 Reykjavik, Iceland