2006 Marathon Relay 5k

This was the race that started it all. I went back a year later to run it again.

Like last year, my morning began at 5 AM. It was slightly easier this year, since I'm getting used to waking up early for training and events. Again, I met my teammates at Apple at 6 AM and we headed down to the race for a start time of 7 AM. Only two of us from last year's team returned this year, which is for the better since this year's runners were a much faster bunch.

The weather was much better this year than last year. It was still humid, but it wasn't as hot. It was overcast for the first couple of legs of the run, then part way through our third runner (the second 10k leg) the sun came out. The sun came and went a bit, but unfortunately, when it was my turn, the sun was out and it stayed out through most of my run.

I did a better warm up than I have been doing recently at races and I think it really helped. I didn't go out too fast and I kept a pretty good pace through the entire race. Unlike last year, I ran the entire thing - no walking for me! When I passed the point at which I first started walking last year I thought to myself, "Ha! No walking for me this year."

The entire run my heart rate was pretty high, but I felt okay so I pushed as much as I could, slowing up a little bit if I needed a little rest but never walking. I came into the finish strong and run a really good time at 34:53. At first I thought it was a PR, but then I realized later that I was a little bit off for a PR. Oh well, it was a good run anyway. (For the record my PR for 5k is 34:17 so I was close.) Our team did really well coming in 9th out of 24 teams in the Corporate Odds and Ends division.

I felt a lot better after the race than I did last year. I had a little headache in the afternoon, but I drank some water with an electrolyte tablet in it, took 2 Advil, took a nap and felt better in the evening.

A few other thoughts regarding the race. It was great to see Amy and Matt. I also met some other people there which was fun. My new running coach Karen (I start my training class today) was also there and her team won the Open Women's division. I told her about my good race and she was happy for me though she warned that she wasn't going to take it easy on me today.

Tonight and Saturday morning I have my training class and then Sunday is the Rogue Women's Tri. After that I have a little break from events for awhile which I'm actually looking forward to. As much as I love events, I really do need a break for a bit. I might do the Bat Run 5k since it's just an untimed fun run for a good cause. I could take it easy or use it as a training run for that week. But it's low key and in the evening so I think it will work out.

Beyond that Dru, Roger and I are registered for the Keep Austin Weird 5k this year. Again, we're going to do it as a fun run, making stops at the Amy's ice cream stop, lemonade, and beer stops. I also hope that the neighborhood residents will put their sprinklers out again this year so we can run through those. We'll also probably pop into Secret Oktober for a little mid-race shopping if the route is the same. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10-Night France, Iceland, and Norway Cruise - Day 7 At Sea

Fitness Instructor Journey, Part 4: Unbreakable

10-Night France, Iceland, and Norway Cruise - Day 8 Reykjavik, Iceland