2010 Texas Roundup 10k Race Report

Yesterday I ran the Texas Roundup 10k. I signed up for it for several reasons. First, I just really like the 10k distance and they're just not as common as 5k races. I also had a really good race 3 years ago when I did it and so I thought I'd go back. When we did it three years ago, it wasn't a HUGE race. It was big enough, but it wasn't ginormous. Also, they have a 5k course and Roger could push Emmaline in the jogger for that distance at the same time. So we signed up.

I had a goal of 1:05. Three years ago my goal was one hour and I came in at 58:44 which is pretty close to my 10k PR (58:06). I had a really great race and felt really good three years ago. (Here's my race report.)

We arrived about 30 min early, parked easily, walked to the race site, let Emmaline run around a bit, used the port-a-potties and then tried to find someplace to start. Roger was running untimed with the jogger so he started further back. I tried to weave my way up, but it was pretty clogged with people. The race began and looking around at the people around me, I knew I was going to have a lot of weaving to do.

Can they just make a rule that if you wear the official race shirt to the actual race, you have to start behind everyone? That would actually take care of about 80% of the people I wove around. I'm not trying to be snotty here (okay, maybe I am just a tad) but I get so frustrated at people walking 4 abreast, having a nice leisurely chat while I'm trying to keep a consistent pace to have a good race.

So the first mile was spent pretty much completely weaving around people and trying to find my groove and getting a little annoying and probably running a little too fast. But the first mile was pretty flat so that was nice. The second and third miles passed without issue. The 5k people split off and things cleared up a lot (though more people than I expected took the 10k split). Then things got hilly.

At the halfway point, I assessed my time and realized I was at about 33 minutes. So I was slightly over my goal, but I thought maybe I could still make it. Then the hills came. Oh my gosh, it was up and down and some of the hills were really steep. But somehow I just kept plugging away and really tried to make up time on the downhills. At the mile 5 marker, with one mile to go, I looked at my watch and it was around 54:00 and I thought if I could run really fast, I might still make it (hah).

Then, in the last mile was the hill from hell. I was about halfway up and it was just getting steeper and steeper. I suddenly realized that everyone around me was walking (and walking faster than I was running) so I gave up and walked. Which annoyed me, but it was better. That hill took forever and I knew I wasn't going to make my time. The wheels hadn't come off, and that was good but I was just about ready to be done. Luckily, it was pretty flat from there on in so I just ran it in with everything I had left in me.

My final time was 1:08:17 (10:59/mi) So I didn't make it, but actually I wasn't bummed. In fact, given the hilly course, I'm actually pretty happy with that time. In addition, I was just of coming off a icky head cold (that had moved into my chest) and hadn't worked out in a week. I ran the best race I could and I'm sore today! I haven't been sore after a race in a long time. Every hill I just thought about how much stronger I was getting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10-Night France, Iceland, and Norway Cruise - Day 7 At Sea

Fitness Instructor Journey, Part 4: Unbreakable

10-Night France, Iceland, and Norway Cruise - Day 17 Copenhagen to Austin and Final Thoughts