Puerto Rico and Southern Caribbean Cruise - Day 9 - At Sea

At Sea

The last day of our vacation was another day at sea. I woke up and brought down some fruit and pastries for a light breakfast from Daisy's before Roger and I prepared to go to spin class at 9:00 AM. Emmaline opted to stay in the room in her pjs and watch the stateroom TV while we were there. Spin class was fine, but not my favorite instructor I've had on DCL. Interestingly the lady next to me was also an instructor so we chatted a little before class. After class, we went back to the room and cleaned up then we all went and had a little more light breakfast in Cabana's.

We did a little packing and organizing and then Emmaline wanted to go check out the "Mickey 200" in Azure. We got there a little bit late and as it's first come first served so we didn't get a number card we needed in order to participate. However, the member of the cruise staff team running the activity remembered Emmaline from the talent show and went out of her way to pair Emmaline up with another girl of similar age who did have a number, which was really nice of her.

Roger joined us in Azure and took over while I went to go get ready for our brunch in Palo. When I came back to Azure, Emmaline and her new friend had designed a race car using a potato and a truly enormous carrot. DCL had also supplied participants with four wheels and toothpicks to hold pieces together. (Adults were in charge of the carving while kids were given the task of designing.) Roger says it's like something called "Pinewood Derby." The cars were pitted against one another on a sloping track and the winner of each of four heats went on the qualify for the final round. Emmaline's team ("Mater's Pertaters" which the hosts couldn't say correctly) ended up qualifying and eventually took second place in the final round. The whole thing was a lot of fun (and also kind of ridiculous).



After racing vegetables, it was time for another ridiculous race, "Jack Jack's Incredible Diaper Dash." Yes folks, we went to watch the racing babies again. Now, if you've not seen it or read about it in one of my reports, let me give you a refresher as to the rules. The race is only for crawling babies. That's right, any babies that walk are disqualified. It's all pretty absurd as they come up to each baby with the microphone and ask how they have prepared for the race and how they are feeling going into the day's event. I'm sure there's a Youtube video somewhere of how the whole thing goes down if you're so inclined. Not as many babies were set to race this time as we've seen before, but we enjoyed those that did. (Pro tip: the view is better from Deck 4 near the Vacation Planning desk.)



After the babies raced, Roger and I went to Palo for our grown-ups only brunch and Emmaline went to the club with some friends (her friend from dinner as well as the one she met the first day at the meet and greet). Palo was good, but I'm going to confess, I think it wasn't as good as it was last time. We talked about it and especially now that the price has gone up, we're not sure we're going to book again.

We finished in Palo and I went to find Emmaline, but she had checked out of the club. I assumed she was hungry and went to look for her on Deck 9 (because she wasn't answering her messages due to the app being glitchy) and found her in Cabana's with her friends eating lunch. After lunch, I went with her and her friends to the Promenade Lounge where they played some games and I chatted with another mom. After awhile, the girls went back to the club and I went back to the room to pack our luggage.

Emmaline was done in the club after about an hour and returned with her friends to Promenade for more games. While they played, I did a round of Mickey trivia and I did fairly well, coming in second. If only I had known the year that Mickey first appeared in his trademark white gloves...

After trivia, we all went up to deck 9 for some snacks before heading back to the room to regroup before the show, "Disney Dreams." It's definitely a favorite and it didn't disappoint on this occasion. After the show, Emmaline went to go to D Lounge for "Who Wants to be a Mouseketeer?" (A game show a la "Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?") Roger and I packed and then I ran up to Shutters to select photos to purchase.

Then it was time for our final dinner. I was excited for Mardi Gras night in Tiana's Place. It was a fun little show with a parade around the restaurant and everyone got beads. I confess, I thought the beignets were only okay. After dinner, we considered going to see Maryellen Hooper again, as she had another show in Azure, but we knew the morning would be coming sooner than we wanted so instead we all went back to the room, made final preparations for debarkation the next morning and went to bed.

Click here for Day 10.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10-Night France, Iceland, and Norway Cruise - Day 7 At Sea

Fitness Instructor Journey, Part 4: Unbreakable

10-Night France, Iceland, and Norway Cruise - Day 17 Copenhagen to Austin and Final Thoughts