Southern California, Disneyland, a Half Marathon and the Desert - Day 2

Saturday morning we left my mom's and boarded the Pacific Surfliner train in Oceanside and headed for Anaheim. Dru picked us up at the train station in Anaheim and we checked into our hotel. After checking in, Dru, Roger and I headed to the Disneyland Hotel so Dru and I could pick up our race packets. The race packet was fairly disappointing, but the race shirt was quite nice - a white long sleeve technical (moisture wicking, breathable, etc.) shirt with the Disneyland Half Marathon logo on the front.

The walk to and from the Disneyland Hotel was much longer than I had anticipated and we were already feeling a little tired when we got back to drop off our stuff. Roger and I soaked our feet in a tub full of ice water before we grabbed Dru's boyfriend Dave and walked all the way back to the area to go to Disney's California Adventure theme park. We began with a little lunch. After lunch we rode some rides. I have to say that California Adventure was sort anti-climactic. The park is really spread out. There is a lot of space between all the rides and I don't feel like they have as many exciting rides as Disneyland.

By the time we decided we were done for the day, our feet weren't happy. I was really worried about the race. I figured we would have any easy day at California Adventure, but I wasn't prepared for how spread out everything was and how much walking we would have to do. Disneyland is laid out in a much friendlier way so you can pop from one ride to the next. Not to mention, you can take the train around the park if you want to go from one area to another (such as New Orleans Square to Toon Town).



Dru said that she thought there was a shuttle we could take. When we left the park we followed some signs to the hotel shuttles. We found out we could have bought a pass from the hotel. We decided to buy $3 one-way tickets to get back to the hotel to save our feet. Once back at the hotel, we bought two-day passes for unlimited rides for $6.

We headed to dinner at an Italian restaurant Dru had found online. We waited awhile and had dinner later than we wanted, but it was tasty and we enjoyed ourselves. After dinner we soaked ourselves in the hot tub near the pool at the hotel and watched the Disneyland fireworks. The original plan was to head back to the park for the fireworks but we opted to watch from the hot tub. This was good and bad. The good was that the hot tub felt nice and we didn't have to go anywhere. The bad was that we couldn't see everything and there were some severely trashed people hanging out in the hot tub: an old man, a woman slightly younger than he, and an even younger women. They were supremely annoying.

Roger and I went to bed before the fireworks were over. Dru and Dave stayed behind for a little while longer. I was pretty tired and fell right to sleep, however, I woke up throughout the night. The bed was uncomfortable, the temperature in the room wasn't right and I think I was excited about the race (I wouldn't say I was nervous). I have to say that once I actually arrived in California, I was much less nervous then I had been the week before in Austin. In fact, as the race drew closer I became less nervous and more excited and also ready to just get it over with!

Click here for Day 3.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10-Night France, Iceland, and Norway Cruise - Day 7 At Sea

Fitness Instructor Journey, Part 4: Unbreakable

10-Night France, Iceland, and Norway Cruise - Day 8 Reykjavik, Iceland