10-Night France, Iceland, and Norway Cruise - Day 13 At Sea

At Sea

By now you know the drill: laundry, light breakfast, laundry, work out, back to the room and shower and finish up the laundry that Roger had tended while I was working out. I didn’t feel like going to Cabana’s and Emmaline was still sleeping after all this and I wanted to be there if she needed me so Roger brought me back a plate of food. 

I was all done getting ready and having breakfast and Emmaline was still sleeping so I just let her. Finally around 10 AM she woke up. I called the health center to report her illness and they told me that we could bring her down but it would be $128 and they left it up to me. I told them I just wanted to report it since I know we were supposed to. They honestly didn’t seem to care. I considered getting out our Covid tests since Covid can often present as nausea and vomiting, but I decided to wait and see how she was doing.

I had brought her a banana from the fitness center, which she ate. Then she got herself dressed and said that she felt absolutely fine! We chalked it up to her eating the day before which consisted of two meals of chicken tenders and fries (breakfast and snack), hot chocolate (lunch) and whatever other assorted bits of junk food she ate. I was talking to the mom of one of her friends later in the trip who said that they call that “too much Christmas.” I think that sums it up. But it was a huge relief that she wasn’t ill and that she had basically just made poor choices the day before. And probably also had not been getting enough sleep. She was getting in late at night - sometimes midnight or 1 AM and then getting up and going going going all day. Too much fun. Too much Christmas. 

She ran off to Vibe and Roger and I began to pack. I was bound and determined to not have a situation where we were trying to fling things into our suitcase between dinner and the show to have our suitcases out on time. We got a good bit of the packing done before it was time for our 11:30 brunch reservation at Palo. We enjoyed our two hour meal but I do miss the little buffet of items they used to have at brunch. And we feel like our brunch on the Wish maybe was slightly better. Though a couple of menu items were better on the Dream. 

After Palo we went back to the room to change out of our nice clothes before doing a little bit of last shopping. Then we went back to the room and continued to organize and pack and I made some notes for my trip report. Then we went to Vista to get some coffee before we went to a presentation called “Making the Dream” which was about building the ship. It wasn’t as interesting as the Art of the Theme Show tour and I feel like we had already seen much of the information other places before, but it still had some interesting little bits in it. After that we returned to the room to regroup and then I went to drawing class. 

When I got to drawing class there was an older gentleman making drawings. He would quickly draw a perfect character, flip the page and start again. Each drawing took him no more than a couple of minutes. Then class began and he was introduced as Don “Ducky” Williams. I knew who he was. He’s sort of Disney-famous as an illustrator. He has worked for Disney for ages and illustrates for a lot of their marketing material or any time you see characters in print or on a billboard or a bus or monorail, he probably drew the character. I mean, the guy even has his own wikipedia page.  And this is the thing about the longer cruises: you get stuff that you never see on the shorter ones. 

We began class and drew Lady from Lady and the Tramp. I felt really great about this drawing and had so much fun with him leading the class. What a treat. Afterwards many people went up to take photos or get autographs and I started taking people’s phones for them and taking their picture with him. Some people asked for drawings. Finally nearly everyone was gone and I was there and Lady was the last drawing. I asked if Lady was available and he said yes and ripped it off and gave it to me. I was so excited I got tears in my eyes. What a special thing. I ran back to the room excited and found a DCL bag and three keychains hanging from our Fish outside the room. There was a note that we had won the scavenger hunt from the day before. Wow! What a great last day on the ship! 

I finished packing and went to Guest Services to settle up the bill before dinner. Our last night onboard was in Animator’s Palate and it was the Animation Magic show and menu. I have no idea why they did the menus in this order because it really made our last night a little bit hectic trying to say goodbyes to our serving team AND do the animation stuff which is already stressful for them. We finished our final tally for the birthday game and our server was the winner. Oh, the birthday game? Yes, I may have mentioned it previously. It started on our 9-night the year before. Emmaline started counting birthdays and somehow we all decided to guess how many total birthdays there would be in our rotation. There were a lot of them! We all under-guessed. This cruise, not so much. We all guessed over the amount of birthdays. But our server came closest and we gave her a chocolate bar as a prize. 

Roger and I decided to skip the show that night (Believe) as we’ve seen it a number of times. I believe that Emmaline went. We finished packing and I worked on the survey and my trip report before relaxing in bed with a book. Roger went up to the top deck to watch the sunset and Emmaline went to final karaoke and goodbye in Vibe. She got in quite late and apparently there were many tears. She made a really great group of friends on this cruise and they were all sad to say goodbye. We were a little sad too. While I was happy to start the next leg of our travels, leaving the ship is always sad.

Click here for Day 14.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10-Night France, Iceland, and Norway Cruise - Day 7 At Sea

Fitness Instructor Journey, Part 4: Unbreakable

10-Night France, Iceland, and Norway Cruise - Day 8 Reykjavik, Iceland